News you don't want to miss for May 15:
1 Ghost Ship trail: An Oakland fire captain testified that Derick Almenda, the master tenant, told him nobody was living in the warehouse when he toured the location
more than two years before the tragic fire that killed 36 people, Bay City News
2. A video recording device was found in a bathroom stall on the campus of U.C. Berkeley
reports. Campus police said images of 5 people were recorded last March, in addition, to 13 more last October.
3. A resolution urging the Alameda County Board of Supervisors to audit the Alameda County Sheriff's Department was approved
by an Oakland City Council committee Tuesday, KTVU reports. The legislation, backed by Councilmember Nikki Bas, follows calls by state Sen. Nancy Skinner for greater oversight of the sheriff's department.
4. East Bay state Sen. Bob Wieckowski has authored legislation that would give struggling college graduates a tax break of up to $1,000 a year on interest paid on their school loans
, San Jose Spotlight
5. Although uncommon for May, heavy rains are expected to hit to the Bay Area starting today
, KRON reports. A second major storm is expected this weekend.
6. Warriors, without Kevin Durant, made quick work of the Portland Trailblazers
in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals Tuesday night in Oakland, the San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Meanwhile, Portland point guard and Oakland native Damian Lillard arrived at Oracle Arena wearing an A's jersey
, USA Today
reports. Portland fans can't be happy about that.
$$ = Stories you may have to pay to read.