Stories you shouldn’t miss:
1. A new state audit sharply criticizes UC Berkeley and three other California universities — UCLA, Chico State, and San Diego State — for failing to adequately investigate sexual violence cases on campus, the Chron reports. Earlier this year, students sued UC Berkeley, alleging that campus officials discouraged them from reporting sexual assaults and mishandled the investigations. And last month, the federal government announced that it was investigating UC Berkeley and dozens of other campuses for violations of federal laws related to sexual violence.
2. The US criminal justice system mistreats Latinos, subjecting them to harsher punishments than white and black people accused of similar crimes, SFGate reports, citing a new study by Californians for Safety and Justice.
3. Green energy advocates are declaring victory after state lawmakers agreed to strip provisions from a bill — AB 2145 — that would have made it nearly impossible for local communities to boost renewable energy production and usage, the Bay Area News Group$ reports.
4. The sale of electric vehicles has skyrocketed by 500 percent nationwide in the past two years, the Trib$ reports, citing a new report from Environment California.
5. A state appellate court ruled that three controversial charter schools — American Indian Public Charter Schools — can remain open while their lawsuit against Oakland Unified School District moves through the courts, the Chron reports. The district ordered the schools to shut down following a financial scandal involving their founder.
6. And Rupert Murdoch-owned Fox television is taking over KTVU Channel 2 in Oakland as part of a station swap with Cox Media, the AP reports.
$ = news stories that may require payment to read.