Stories you shouldn’t Miss:
1. A Richmond police officer shot and killed a 24-year-old man after a struggle in front of a liquor store early Sunday — the first fatal officer-involved shooting in seven years
in the city, the Chron
reports. Police said the officer fired his weapon after a drunken man grabbed the cop’s gun.
2. A plan to divide California into six states failed to gather enough valid signatures
to qualify for the 2016 ballot, the SacBee
$ reports. Silicon Valley billionaire Tim Draper spent $5.2 million on the unsuccessful ballot measure campaign.
3. State and federal regulators have no idea which railroad bridges pose safety risks
in California, the CoCo Times
$ reports. The importance of rail safety has grown because of the expansion of highly explosive oil-by-rail shipments.
4. The number of bear incidents in Yosemite National Park has dropped dramatically
in the past two decades thanks to educational efforts that teach people not to feed bears or store food, toothpaste, deodorant, or scented toiletries in their vehicles, the Mercury News
5. And Digital First Media, which owns the Bay Area News Group, including the Oakland Tribune
, the Contra Costa Times
, and the San Jose Mercury News
, put its newspapers up for sale
, the LA Times$ reports.