Stories you shouldn’t miss:
1. It appears that the Republican-controlled Congress will not enact any new gun control restrictions in the wake of the deadly rampage in San Bernardino
last week, the Chron
reports. Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein introduced legislation to ban the sale of weapons to suspected terrorists on the government’s no fly list, but GOP senators defeated the measure 54-45.
2. FBI Director James Comey said the husband-and-wife duo that carried out the massacre in San Bernardino appear to have been inspired by terrorist groups — but added there is no evidence that they were actually part of a terrorist cell or were organized by any terrorism organization
, the LA Times
3. In a primetime speech to the nation, President Obama called on Muslim Americans to denounce violent ideology in response to the San Bernardino mass killings and for other Americans to resist perpetrating hate against Muslims
, the Chron
$ reports. The president referred to jihadists as pushing “a cult of death.” “Muslim leaders here and around the globe must decisively and unequivocally reject ... hateful ideology,” Obama said, while Americans “must enlist Muslim communities as our strongest allies, rather than push them away through hate.”
4. The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office is embroiled in a major scandal following the revelation that at least a dozen jail guards, including the head of the union, have been sending virulently racists texts
, the San Jose Mercury News
$ reports. The texts vilify Blacks, Latinos, Vietnamese, and Jews.
5. And Safeway must pay nearly $42 million to customers nationwide for secretly overcharging them
for groceries through Safeway.com from 2006 to 2011, the Chron