Located just outside Mountain View Cemetery on Piedmont Avenue, Chapel of the Chimes is a beautiful, labyrinthine structure originally constructed in 1909 and redesigned by pioneering Bay Area architect Julia Morgan in 1929. Floor-to-ceiling cinerary urns look like book spines, closing the gap between tomes and tombs, and the entire structure is awash in natural light. It's the site of Garden of Memory, an annual summer solstice celebration typically featuring about fifty performers from the experimental community, but Chapel of the Chimes also offers a deeply peaceful walkthrough year-round, free of cost. It's also the resting place of John Lee Hooker, the "King of the Boogie."
© 2017 East Bay Express