by Jesse Hirsch
Welcome to the Mid-Week Menu, a weekly roundup of restaurant openings, chef arrivals and departures, and other nuggets of gossip from the East Bay food scene.
2) Brundo, the Ethiopian market next door to Cafe Colucci, just opened an Ethiopian Culinary Studio on Mandela Parkway. Click here for more info on their grand opening bash this Saturday, courtesy of East Bay Dish.
3) This week begins Harley Richter's stint at Guest Chef, and I'd recommend stopping by. Richter's sausages and other charcuterie are legend, and he's serving his own corned beef for St. Patrick's Day next week. Peep the full menu here.
4) A tipster spotted an eviction notice last week on the Oakland outpost of Cocina Poblana. Lito Saldana told me he hopes to re-open after dealing with some lease issues. Poblana's Emeryville location remains open for business.
6) Angeline's Kitchen in Berkeley, the Cajun spot with a perpetual dinner wait, has been closed for a couple weeks while they expand into a neighboring space. They should be re-opening tonight but call ahead to be sure.
7) Berkeleyside released a great roundup of Berkeley's ethnic eateries. Kudos to the commenters on this one- so polite! Typically these posts provoke an outpouring of rage over the spots that got skipped.
8) Stay tuned for a possible big new project on Broadway from everyone's favorite perpetual motion machine, Charlie Hallowell...
Comments? Tips? Get in touch at Jesse.Hirsch@EastBayExpress.com.