News you don't want to miss for May 7:
1. Ghost Ship trial: "A key witness scheduled to testify this week in the involuntary manslaughter trial involving a Northern California warehouse fire that killed 36 people has died in a car crash,"
the Associated Press
reports. The witness was an unlicensed electrician who did work on the building.
2. The Oakland A's intend to finance the proposed waterfront ballpark at Howard Terminal, but how the city and state will fund infrastructure improvements in and around the 50-acre site became more clear Monday. The state Senate approved legislation that would allow the City of Oakland to create an infrastructure financing district at the site to pay for such improvements
, the East Bay Citizen
reports. The bill, authored by state Sen. Nancy Skinner, now heads to the state Assembly.
3. The Oakland Community Police Review Agency said in a report released Friday that four Oakland police officers' use of force was justified when they shot and killed Joshua Pawlik
, a 31-year-old homeless man who police said pointed a gun at the officers in March 2018, the East Bay Times
reports. Oakland police monitor Robert Warshaw had previously come to a different conclusion, finding the officers violated department policy and recommended each be terminated. $$
4. "Berkeley, along with larger cities like Austin, Texas, and New York, is part of a broader municipal movement that views employee ownership as not just a strategy to retain at-risk businesses, but also a way to address rising income and wealth inequality," The Huffington Post
reports on a city-funded plan in Berkeley that aims to keep local businesses running after their owners retire by encouraging worker co-ops
5. Hayward is taking the unusual step of potentially rescinding a cannabis permit approved earlier this year, and in a very public way. Hayward city officials say the reason for the action Tuesday night came after Hayward Police busted an associate of the applicant for allegedly running a large-scale illegal cultivation facility
. During the arrest they found evidence of financial ties between the man and the group that received the conditional-use permit, the East Bay Citizen
6. The Warriors dropped a second straight game in Houston
as the Rockets tied the best-of-seven second round NBA Playoffs series, 2-2, ESPN reports. Meanwhile, the Sharks are heading to a Game 7 on Wednesday in San Jose after losing to the Avalanche in overtime Monday night
, USA Today reports.
$$ = Stories you may have to pay to read.