News you don't want to miss for April 24:
1. East Bay state Sen. Nancy Skinner engineered a surprise compromise during a Public Safety Committee hearing in Sacramento Tuesday by attempting to combine two bills that would enact new guidelines for when police officers use lethal force
, the Associated Press
2. Gov. Gavin Newsom visited the East Bay Tuesday to join Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin and Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf in an effort to highlight the importance of fire breaks between woodland and large urban areas
in this new era of deadly wildfires, KPIX reports.
3. Gas prices are going up and Newsom wants to know why? "Newsom asked the California Energy Commission for an analysis of the state’s gas prices by May 15
. California drivers were paying an average of $4.03 per gallon Tuesday, or $1.18 more than the national average," the Associated Press
4. The Alameda County Board of Supervisors unanimously directed staff to finalize a tentative deal with the Oakland A's to sell its half of the Coliseum for $85 million
, the East Bay Citizen
reports. The A's plan to redevelop the property for housing and retail, while pursuing a new ballpark at Howard Terminal.
5. Oakland's Damian Lillard drained a long-range jumper as time ran out
to lead the Portland Trailblazers into the second round of the NBA Playoffs, the San Francisco Chronicle
report. But the San Jose Sharks topped his heroics, winning Game 7 of their Stanley Cup Playoff series in one of the greatest comebacks in hockey history
, NBC Sports
$$ = Stories you may have to pay to read.