Stories you shouldn't miss for March 26, 2018
1. The owners of the Oakland A’s say they want to purchase the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum property
from the city and county, the San Francisco Chronicle
reports. The A’s are proposing to pay off the $135 million debt on the Coliseum and Oracle Arena in exchange for the 120-acre site. The team has not said whether it plans to build a new ballpark there or if it will construct housing and a commercial development on the property. The team is also still considering building a new ballpark at the Howard Terminal site near Jack London.
2. Millions of people marched on Saturday around the nation and the world in support of stricter gun control laws, following last month’s massacre at a Florida high school. In Washington, D.C., the demonstration was estimated to include 800,000 people
— more than the attendance at President Trump’s inauguration. Locally, thousands of people protested
in Oakland and San Francisco.
3. The Sierra snowpack has more than tripled in the past month
— thanks to a series of strong storms that have hit California, reports Amy Graff of SFGate, citing National Weather Service data. The snowpack jumped from 16 percent of normal on Feb. 22 to 56 percent on March 23. The state is expected to experience dry weather this week.
4. Facebook’s stock plunged again this morning after the U.S. Federal Trade Commission announced that it’s investigating the Bay Area company
over a data breach involving more than 50 million users, the Hill reports. Cambridge Analytica, a data firm closely associated with President Trump’s 2016 campaign, took the Facebook user information and allegedly used it to help Trump win the election.
5. And in a turnaround, President Trump announced that he’s expelling 60 Russians from the United States
as a result of Moscow’s alleged poisoning of a former Russian spy in Great Britain, The New York Times
$ reports. Trump had indicated earlier that he had no plans to sanction Russia for the poisoning incident — and even congratulated Vladimir Putin for his recent reelection. Trump’s surprise move came the morning after his alleged ex-mistress, porn star Stormy Daniels, told her story on 60 Minutes
$ = news stories that may require payment to read.