Stories you shouldn’t miss:
1. Last night’s storm dumped more than an inch of rain
on some sections of the Bay Area and the East Bay— including Castro Valley, which received 1.1 inches, the Bay Area News Group$ reports. More rain and some thunderstorms are expected for later this afternoon, and Mount Diablo may get some snow. The much-needed rain, however, will not have much of an impact on the drought.
2. Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf has hired ex-Jerry Brown staffer Claudia Cappio
to be the assistant city administrator for development, the Trib
$ reports. Cappio was Oakland’s development director during Brown’s tenure as mayor and helped spearhead his 10K housing initiative in downtown. Cappio also worked for Brown when he became governor, taking over as executive director of the California Housing Finance Agency. Schaaf is an ex-Brown staffer as well.
3. Oakland police announced that two more men have been charged in the murder of an Oakland mom
who was caught in the crossfire of a gunbattle while trying to protect her children, the Trib
$ reports. The announcement increases the number of men charged in the killing of Chyemil Pierce to six.
4. A Richmond cop who was fired for domestic violence abuse and weapons violations has filed a lawsuit against Police Chief Chris Magnus
, alleging that the Bay Area’s only gay chief sexually harassed him, the CoCo Times
$ reports. Magnus, who strongly denies the allegations, has been sued previously by officers he has fired for misconduct.
5. A Sacramento judge has refused to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the Bay Area News Group$, which sued the state to obtain the official calendars of disgraced former state legislators
6. Marine scientists are scrambling to figure out why there’s been a mass die-off of starfish
due to a virus along the California Coast, the Santa Cruz Sentinel$
7. And the state legislature is moving forward with a bill that would rename the Waldo Tunnel in Marin County near the Golden Gate Bridge after the late comedian Robin Williams
, the Santa Rosa Press Democrat
reports (via Rough & Tumble).