Stories you shouldn’t miss:
Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant.
1. Federal investigators are probing whether PG&E and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) improperly relaxed earthquake safety standards
at the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant near San Luis Obispo, the Chron
reports. Investigators are also examining whether the NRC ignored warnings from its own inspectors about the dangers of newly discovered earthquake faults near the nuclear facility.
2. Legislation that would allow California doctors to administer lethal drugs to terminally ill patients to hasten their deaths was a approved by a state Senate committee
, the LA Times
$ reports. The so-called aid-in-dying bill is sponsored by Democratic Senators Lois Wolk of Davis and Bill Monning of Carmel.
3. A top regulator acknowledged that PG&E steered funds earmarked for pipeline safety to executive bonuses
, the LA Times
$ reports. CPUC Chair Michael Picker also said PG&E placed profits and bonuses above public safety.
4. State Attorney General Kamala Harris went to court to stop a disgusting ballot measure that calls for killings gays and lesbians
in California, the SacBee
$ reports. Harris argues that the ballot measure is unconstitutional on its face, and so she should not have to okay it for circulation.
5. And Vallejo police announced that an alleged kidnapping of a woman earlier this week was a hoax
, the Chron
reports. The woman turned up in Southern California and is now refusing to talk to police.