Stories you shouldn’t miss:
1. Despite soaring housing prices, the median home price in Oakland is just half of what it is in San Francisco
, SFGate reports, citing a new survey from Paragon Real Estate. The median home price in Oakland is now $520,000 — but it’s $1.1 million in San Francisco. In Berkeley the median home price is $918,000, and it’s $710,000 in Alameda. Richmond’s median is $330,000.
2. Human-caused climate change will lead to more droughts
like the one we’re currently experiencing in California, the LA Times
$ reports, citing a new Stanford study. And the situation likely will get worse.
3. Newly released emails reveal that embattled CPUC Commissioner Mike Florio had extensive back-channel communications with Southern California Edison
— another utility he was supposed to regulate, UT San Diego
reports (via Rough & Tumble). Florio is already under fire for his cozy relationship with PG&E officials.
4. The state Supreme Court struck down an aspect of Jessica’s Law, ruling that the prohibition on sex offenders living within 2,000 feet of a school or park, especially in an urban area, is unconstitutional
, the Chron
5. The US Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal from Prop 8 supporters, who wanted the state to erase donor info from its public databases
on the grounds that backers of the anti-gay-marriage proposition were allegedly harassed, the Chron
6. The family of Jahi McMath, the former Oakland teen who was declared brain dead at Oakland Children’s Hospital following a botched tonsillectomy, is planning to sue the hospital for damages
, the Bay Area News Group$ reports. Jahi is in now in New Jersey, and her family refuses to believe she is dead.
7. And Oakland now has the highest minimum wage — $12.25 an hour — in the state
, the Trib
$ reports. San Francisco’s minimum wage will reach $12.25 in May.