Stories you shouldn’t miss:
1. Governor Jerry Brown said he has no plans to ask voters to renew
the Prop 30 tax increase when it expires in 2016, the Chron
reports. Prop 30, which raised taxes on wealthy Californians, helped public schools avoid deep budget cuts during the recession. It has generated about $6 billion a year for the state. But Brown said he has always viewed the tax hike as being temporary.
2. Democratic leaders, including the governor, are campaigning heavily
for Dublin Mayor Tim Sbranti, who is in a tough East Bay election battle with Republican Catharine Baker, the Bay Area News Group$ reports. The 16th Assembly District race is the only electoral contest in the Bay Area in which Republicans have a legitimate shot at winning on November 4.
3. Some UC Berkeley students have launched a campaign to block comedian Bill Maher from speaking
at the campus’ mid-year commencement, contending that the liberal TV talk show host is an anti-Muslim racist, the LA Times
$ reports. Maher has come under fire for his anti-Islamic views. The atheist comedian has long history of disparaging religion.
4. A Berkeley high school staffer ended up in the hospital with a head injury after large group of students got out of control and started hurling objects
, including glass bottles, on campus last Friday, Berkeleyside reports.
5. And the City of Oakland is hosting a forum on Thursday night to discuss the possible expansion of the free Broadway shuttle
, the Trib