Stories you shouldn’t miss:
1. Because of the drought, federal and state wildlife officials plan to ship millions of hatchery-born baby salmon by truck downriver to the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta to give them a better chance of surviving their migration to the Pacific Ocean. The SacBee$ reports that the US Fish & Wildlife Service plans to begin trucking up to 12 million salmon this week from ta hatchery near Red Bluff and ship the fish downstream to a point on the Sacramento River near Rio Vista, because the river does not have enough water for the fish to survive the journey on their own. The state plans similar trucking operations along the American River. The moves are designed to keep the Bay Area’s salmon fishery from completely collapsing this year.Republicans will take the US Senate this year — and will retain control of the House of Representatives. Silver attributes his prediction in part to President Obama’s unpopularity and the botched rollout of his health-care reform initiative.
3. State Senator Jerry Hill of San Mateo says the Bay Area is not prepared for the likelihood of oil-tanker train accidents, the Chron reports. The number of crude oil train derailments is expected to increase because the number of shipments has skyrocketed. The number of tank cars of oil shipped to the state has soared from 9,000 in 2011 to an expected 200,000 this year.
4. The Malaysian jetliner that has been missing for two weeks apparently crashed in the Indian Ocean, the AP reports, citing a statement from Malaysia’s prime minister. The Malaysian government concluded that the plane crashed after analyzing satellite data.
5. The number of sea lions infected with a neurotoxin that causes epilepsy appears to be growing off the California coast, the Chron reports. The neurotoxin is coming from algae blooms in coastal waters and it accumulates in shellfish, mussels, anchovies, sardines, and herring — a primary food source for sea lions.
6. And nearly 10,000 people took part in the Oakland Running Festival yesterday, which featured a marathon, a half-marathon, a 5k, and kids’ races, the Trib$ reports.