Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums revealed yesterday that a Major League Baseball task force is scheduled to present its findings Monday to Commissioner Bud Selig on the A’s proposed move San Jose. Dellums made the revelation during a speech to the Oakland chambers of commerce at the Oakland airport Hilton. However, it’s not clear when Selig will make the task force’s findings public or how much information he will reveal when he does.
Over the past year, the task force examined the viability of two new ballpark sites that Dellums has proposed for Jack London Square, along with a site in downtown San Jose and the soon-to-be closed NUMMI auto plant in Fremont. Selig assembled the task force after Dellums and Oakland Council President Jane Brunner sent the commissioner a letter early last year, asking him to reconsider the possibility of the A’s remaining in Oakland.
The letter came after A’s co-owner Lew Wolff, a longtime friend of Selig’s, said he wanted to relocate the team to San Jose, arguing that he had exhausted the all the possible ballpark sites in Oakland and found them unviable. But Dellums was able to show the commissioner and the task force two new sites that Wolff had not looked at.
Dellums also said yesterday that he recently sent a follow-up missive to Selig, urging him to favor the Oakland sites over the Fremont locale, citing the need to promote urban growth in order to address the effects of climate change. Dellums said he noted to the commissioner that a Fremont ballpark would result in more long-distance car trips by team fans, thereby adding to greenhouse gas emissions.