Calling all local news junkies, bored cubicle dwellers, and shut-ins! Whether you scrutinize your local press, or just want to measure how closely you're tuned into local happenings, try our local news quiz. It's fun! You might even learn something. If you like it, let us know, and we'll start doing it every Friday. Starting on Monday, feel free to contribute questions (and answers) to be included. All questions must be related to local, regional, or, in rare cases, state happenings. The news in question has to have been reported between the prior Friday and the upcoming one. So now, without further ado, the Friday Local News Quiz:
1. Roughly a couple dozen reality TV hopefuls descended on Hayward's Southland Mall last weekend dressed as what?
2. Trial began last Monday pitting a private school against Alameda County, which has refused the school's request to build a new high school campus in semi-rural Palomares Canyon near Castro Valley. In what could be a nationally watched test case, the school is invoking a recent federal law, claiming the county is discriminating against it in what way?
3. The Unification Church, aka the Moonies, agreed last week to pay $500,000 to avoid prosecution for the illegal activities of its Bay Area pastor, Kevin Thompson, whose San Leandro church was involved in what?
4. Oakland-based Kaiser Permanente last week announced a research project that would span decades and investigate the causes of diseases such as Alzheimer's and cancer. It is asking two million Northern California members to participate in the survey and provide samples of what?
5. What did Berkeley-based Publishers Group West do recently that may threaten the existence of more than 150 small publishers across the nation?
6. The Oakland Tribune noted this week that former A's manager Tony La Russa now manages a shelter in Walnut Creek. What kind of shelter?
7. Several Oakland city workers have appealed their supervisor's decision to remove what from a workplace bulletin board?
8. What did star pitcher Barry Zito bring to the Giants training camp this week?
9. What has UC Berkeley threatened to do in order to thwart the tree-sitters in the grove of oak trees outside Memorial Stadium?
10. The Chronicle reporters who exposed the BALCO steroid scandal were facing prison time for refusing to reveal their source for leaked grand jury testimony. Now, it looks like they'll be off the hook. Why?
Check in for all the answers first thing Monday morning.