Welcome to 2007 and a whole bunch of new laws that will land Californians arrested, fined, or punished. Here are some highlights:
* It's illegal to leave an animal in an unattended vehicle if heat or cold threatens it. But it's only illegal to tie a dog to a stationary object for more than three hours a day. (What about a cat? Hamster?)
* College administrators can't
sensor censor college newspapers.
* It's illegal for a driver to knowingly allow someone to ride in a vehicle's trunk.
* People served with restraining orders must immediately relinquish their guns.
* Plus, oral surgeons can now perform plastic surgery.
* And locally, toll for the Bay Bridge increases by $1 to $4, while the state's hourly minimum wage creeps up just $0.75 to $7.50. (Those in SF get $9.14 an hour.)
* The ban on drivers using handheld cell phones doesn't take effect until the middle of next year.
Read the LA Times' full list of new laws this year .
Back to 92510, the East Bay Express news blog.