by Will Harper
Republican Congressman Richard Pombo from Tracy is using this video to warn voters in his district to beware of Berkeley activists bussed in to walk precincts on behalf of his Democratic challenger, Jerry McNerney. Pombo e-mailed a letter to supporters Monday saying "ultra-liberal demonstrators from Berkeley and San Francisco" were invading the district. The Los Angeles Times picked up word on the Berkeley invasion, and a group calling itself "Neighbors 4 Pombo" put together a YouTube video called "Don't tell them you're from Berkeley." Pombo's letter after the jump.
Would you like to have San Francisco 's Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House of Representatives and second in line to the Presidency?
Of course not, but that is exactly what the campaign workers pouring into your neighborhoods are working toward, and they are not even our neighbors. They are ultra-liberal demonstrators from Berkeley, and San Francisco, and they are working for my opponent, Jerry McNerney.
In fact, on October 14th, the Los Angeles Times reported that Berkeley activists have been "flooding" my district. This report even quoted one such angry liberal invader, who jubilantly declared that he and his gangs had "suddenly and deliberately attacked the residential neighborhoods" of the 11th District of California.
These "attackers" are also bringing their checkbooks. Jerry McNerney's latest campaign finance report shows that only 17% of his contributions came from voters here at home, while the remaining 83% of his checks came from post offices in Berkeley, San Franciso, New York City, Massachusetts and other far-flung liberal bastions in the U.S.
We are also tracking hundreds of thousands of dollars in advertising bought and paid for by the shadowy "527" groups coordinating with McNerney to defeat me.
Please help me send a message to these activists by sending an urgently needed contribution to my campaign. Every nickel we raise now is going into direct voter contact, something desperately needed to inform our neighbors of the left's desperate effort.
Thank you for your time and, as always, for your support. I look forward to seeing you on Election Day.
Very truly yours,