by David Downs
Here's your headlines: 1) Wired on the military's complicated relationship with drugs: "From some boozy bonding in the barracks or a few uppers to stay alert on an aerial mission, to scoring psychedelics that pass a urine test or experimenting with rave drugs to alleviate trauma, controlled substances are, for better or for worse, surprisingly ubiquitous in military circles."
2) The California Medical Association chats more about their call to legalize cannabis.
3) Kal Penn talks Obama, How I Met Your Mother, and the new Harold and Kumar with Vulture.
4) Fact: stoners love video games. Uncharted 3 is out today, joining a harvest season that includes Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Battlefield 3, RAGE and Batman: Arkham City.
5) In Chicago, a former D.E.A. chief tries to scare Chicago straight....
6) And in L.A., a former narcotics officer tries to scare California straight. The Cartels control it all!
7) Paper Route Gangstaz have a new mixtape "Born 2 Ball".
8) SF drug arrests drop, and so does violent crime. “This has been somewhat of a de facto decriminalization of drugs — in other words, they’re not being prosecuted,” [Sheriff] Hennessey said. “And it does not appear that violent crime in San Francisco has risen, so it may say something about the necessity for the war on drugs.”
9) "The Cannabis Patients Alliance, a nonprofit medical marijuana patient rights organization, is asking the residents of San Jose to help write and pass new medical marijuana regulations that protect patients, respect neighborhoods, and ensure marijuana tax dollars go to essential city services. They are conducting an online survey to gather public opinion before putting the initiative, Control Medical Marijuana in San Jose, on the ballot.
10) SF Mayoral candidate David Chiu speaks today at 7:30 pm for the San Francisco Chapter of ASA (Americans for Safe Access) — that's at 847 Howard Street (between 4th and 5th Streets) in San Francisco.
11) And happy early birthday Prop 215.