2) Obama hecklers in L.A. want: a) Armageddon; b) or maybe just a little legal medical marijuana. [CBS]
3) "Three Houston Cops Accused of Eating Evidence in May Pot Case" [Houston Press]
4) The new High Times has Phil Anselmo of Pantera, and a preview of The Rum Diary.
6) Czech Republic to legalize medical marijuana [Ceskapozice]
7) The Gray Lady says New York City's rate of 50,000 pot tickets each year "damages young lives and deserves deeper scrutiny by federal and state monitors."
8) Retired Air Force captain and special agent Sylvia Longmire writes about southwest border violence issues in the new book Cartel: The Coming Invasion of Mexico's Drug Wars. In a recent interview she notes the financial angle of border violence:
"Antonio Maria Costa, head of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, said $352 billion in drug money laundered by banks kept the financial system going during the peak of the 2008 financial crisis. It would seem there are vested interests who benefit mightily from drugs being illegal and this is a major if unspoken roadblock to finding solutions."
“I definitely think decriminalization is an option that has to be considered as just one part of an overall multi-faceted strategy to combat the cartels.”
“We also need to start viewing drug use and addiction as a public health issue and not a criminal issue. ... if there are fewer people to deal to, then consequently there will be fewer dealers.”