by David Downs
1. Militant pot growers bombed a bus and threatened to blow up the Shasta Dam in a "Red Cell" terrorism drill held by the federal government last week. [via DWC] The scenario's use of cultivators was called "stupid," "absurd," and "insulting" by leading drug law reformers. Recent cases of actual domestic terrorism have stemmed from anti-government types (IRS plane bombing), angered Muslims (Ft. Hood shooting), neo-Nazis (Holocaust Museum shooting), and anti-abortionists (Dr. George Tiller). More news after the jump.
2. The Netherlands is considering restricting the sale of illegal-but-tolerated pot to residents only, MSNBC reports. Organized crime has taken over Dutch pot production in lieu of government cultivation regulations.
3. Oakland's request for permit applications to grow large-scale amounts of medical pot are done. And they upped the number of grows from four to eight, the Chron reports.
4. West Berkeley real estate prices (might) be going up (slightly) thanks to the town's new medical marijuana cultivation laws, Zusha Elinson at The Bay Citizen Reports. Berkeley's voter-approved Measure T permits six 30,000 square-foot grows in West Berkeley.
5. New Jersey's strict medical pot laws are set to get more strict.
6. California band Wavves' lead singer Nathan Williams busted for weed in Germany, sayeth Pitchfork.
7. Dr. Dre releases "Kush", with Snoop Dogg and Akon off his long-delayed LP Detox.
8. Lastly, a requiem for those who carry the occasional joint on their person through airport security. The TSA is not backing down from widespread - and widely reviled - use of full-body scans and invasive, full-body patdowns that now include the breasts, labia, testicles, and buttocks. Medical cannabis patients are also subject to arrest for possession, depending on airport policy. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!