Unless you've been living under a rock, you probably know that there's this little festival happening this weekend in Downtown Oakland called ART & SOUL (full disclosure: the Express is co-presenting). But it's not just a two-day affair; there's before-parties, after-parties, and before-before parties (hello First Friday!). We realize it might be a bit overwhelming, so we've compiled this condensed guide for y'all:
Friday, August 3
- lOAKal Pop-Up Gallery and Boutique Debut (1423 Broadway) (Express is co-presenting). 6-10 p.m., free.
- Art & Soul Pre-Party with Anita Lofton Project & Rosie Burgess Trio at Awaken Cafe (1429 Broadway, Oakland). 7:30-10 p.m., free.
- Zion-I performing at Oaklandish (1444 Broadway) at 9:30 p.m.
- Lumerians at the Uptown (1928 Telegraph Ave., Oakland). 9 p.m., free.
- For complete First Friday Art Murmur listings, go here.
- And don't miss Express reporter Rachel Swan talking about Art & Soul at 5 p.m. on Friday, August 3, on KALW (91.7 FM).
Saturday, August 4
- Art & Soul: (entrances at 14th St. and Broadway; San Pablo Ave. at 16th St; and Jefferson St. between 12th and 14th sts.). 2 p.m.-midnight. Adults: $10 in advance, $15 at door; Seniors/Youth (13-17): $5 in advance, $8 at door; free for 12 & under. Lineup includes Blame Sally, Meshell Ndegeocello & Chris Bruce, Luce, Frank Fairfield, Metal Mother, Lyrics Born, Saviours, Vetiver, Souls of Mischief, DJ Dyloot, and more.
- Official After-party with DJ Saurus and guests at The Rock Steady (1741 San Pablo Ave., Oakland). 11:30 p.m., free.
- Yak Films After-party with music by thePeople at Paradise (2272 Telegraph Ave., Oakland) . 10 p.m., free.
Sunday, August 5
- Art & Soul: (entrances at 14th St. and Broadway; San Pablo Ave. at 16th St; and Jefferson St. between 12th and 14th sts.). noon-6 p.m. Adults: $10 in advance, $15 at door; Seniors/Youth (13-17): $5 in advance, $8 at door; free for 12 & under. Lineup includes Kellye Gray, Oleta Adams, Lalah Hathaway, Churches, Persephone's Bees, Forest Day, Dear Indugu, Whiskerman, and more.