Sad news out of East Oakland, via Chowhound: Genny’s BBQ (6637 Bancroft Ave.), reviewed favorably in The Express just two weeks ago, has been shut down due to a kitchen fire.
Chef Virginia Roberson, a first-time business owner, told me the fire took place last Friday morning. A chimney flue attached to one of the restaurant’s smokers caught on fire while she was in the kitchen cooking. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but in order to extinguish the blaze, the fire department ended up putting a hole in the roof.
- Luke Tsai
- At Genny's: ribs, mac 'n' cheese, red beans and rice.
As a result, Roberson said, it will take at least three weeks or a month for the owner of the building to complete the necessary repairs. (And, knowing how these things go, that timeframe might be a bit optimistic.)
Still, Roberson is confident that Genny’s will reopen sometime in June, and she said that when it does it’ll be with a revamped menu: “I’m coming back with a bang.”
Stay tuned for updates on the restaurant's construction progress and for details about a grand reopening event, during which Roberson plans to feed customers for free.